Monday, May 29, 2023

Happy Memorial Day!

I say this due to my film-watching exploits going off-course. It wasn’t the plan to discuss a 1903 Georges Melies short today; originally a feature length film would be in this spot, but I am still recovering from some sort of illness (NOT COVID) which most affected me on Thursday. I do feel mostly fine now, although still exhausted. Hopefully tomorrow things will be back to normal.

Henceforth, another brief short from the legendary Melies-this was a hair under two minutes long-whereby this time it was a green-skinned demon chucking several damsels in distress into a cauldron, who then immediately are liquified into a fiery inferno. As stomach-churning as that sounds, the presentation made it more whimsical than horrifying if that was presented in a cinema today. No worries, the emerald beast does get its comeuppance.

As I’ve said in reviews of other Melies shorts, the blend of colorized film, OOT fantasy scenarios, and innovative effects resulted in a tasty concoction where no matter the length, I am always thrilled by the macabre delights. During times like these, it is always a saving grace to have worthwhile treasures from the past to fall back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment