Friday, May 26, 2023

Man of Steel

Man of Steel (2013)

Runtime: 143 minutes

Directed by: Zach Snyder

Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane

From: Warner Bros./Legacy/Syncopy/DC

Would you believe this was a first-time watch for me? Actually, long-time followers probably do. It’s been ages since I’ve seen any comic book movie so it has to be explained that I skip most of those as I just don’t care for the vast majority. There’s no preference between Marvel and DC-as I know there will always be tribalism between the two camps-except that the Christopher Reeve Superman movies and Batman was watched when I was a kid, whether it be Adam West, the big screen live-action films or Batman: The Animated Series.

Yesterday I listened to a YouTube livestream where after forewarning, spoilers were given for The Flash. For reasons I won’t explain here, my interest was suddenly piqued; it was more than just the one reveal that the director himself make yesterday. My seeing The Flash is NOT because I want to support Ezra Miller. That guy is a sex pest and in general a pretty lousy human being. Anyhow, because of my plans for June, might as well see the first incarnation of Michael Shannon as Zod, right? Thus, I went to Apple TV, which just started doing movie rentals. No issues with the 4K Dolby Vision stream.

The movie itself, I had some problems with. Personally, I would have liked to have seen Superman wear the suit more often, or done more heroic acts. The sometimes non-chronological order the story was told in, I’m not sure if that really benefitted the story being told. Then there was the final act… no, I don’t mean how the Kal-El vs. Zod fight ended; they tried to rationalize it and I know why hardcore fans would be rankled by that decision. Rather, for me it was how the final act was a cacophony of noise, images, CG and the apparent loss of thousands of lives which was more objectionable to me. In addition, thank goodness this was never a theatrical experience given how often the camera needlessly moves around.

Yet there were parts of the film I did like; while some moments were questionable, both his birth and surrogate parents were likable characters. I did enjoy Henry Cavill in the title role; the cast as a whole was pretty solid. Even if the first two Reeve Superman films told this basic story better (the romance between Superman and Lois Lane was much stronger there than here) and the John Williams score will forever be iconic to me, the first two acts were fine.

Sure, I prefer the optimism and good old-fashioned heroics of Superman but this interpretation wasn’t automatically hated by me. It was that final act and various Snyderisms which sank this. And no, I won’t be checking out the rest of the Snyderverse as it is likely those films I actually would hate. As for teen Kent being called an ASSWIPE and DICKSPLASH… it was unexpected.

Overall, I do not regret waiting a decade to check this out. What I do regret: not doing a screenshot on Letterboxd opening night where the first five ratings of this from followers were (in no particular order):

**
*
*****
****
***
That was how I knew right then how divisive this was… and still is. I do get why many love this film; personally, the first two Reeve movies are an incredibly high hurdle to clear and this doesn’t do that. Alas, with any luck The Flash will be something I will like despite the general rotten reputation of many comic book films in recent years. In addition, my next review should be of something I rate pretty highly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment