Monday, October 3, 2022

Next Of Kin (The Australian Film)

Next of Kin (1982)

Runtime: 89 minutes

Directed by: Tony Williams

Starring: Jacki Kerin, John Jarratt, Alex Scott, Gerda Nicolson, Charles McCallum

From: Several different Australian & New Zealand companies

Yes, I did have myself a Klaus Schulze weekend. Already I’ve seen some mutual watch films that are part of the Criterion Channel’s 80’s Horror collection. While I’ve seen a decent number of those already, this might not be the only time I dip my toes into the well of 29 films that feature plenty of familiar times, whether they are well-known or deeper cuts like this Ozploitation movie. On Saturday night I experienced The Keep, which had a killer Tangerine Dream score; Next of Kin was scored by Klaus Schulze, the drummer and percussionist for Tangerine Dream who could of course play other instruments such as the synthesizer. He had a number of solo albums but I’ve only scratched the surface of that while I’ve heard several different TD albums. I’ll say more about him later.

In short, a young lady known as Linda inherits land owned by her late mother-they had a frosty relationship. She returns to the rural area to manage that-you see, the land includes a fancy retirement home located in an old mansion. I’d rather keep the mystery as to the spooky goings-on so I’ll be vague. It’s important to note that the movie has a measured pace & takes its time, yet for me was never dull in setting up the story & getting to know the characters. The score from Schulze-evocative and foreboding, never loud or bombastic-sets the mood as there are rainy nights, dreams of Linda as a young child, John Jarratt having a key role as a past love but the fire is rekindled, mum’s old diary, and various bathroom-related mishaps.

The Aussie flavor of these Ozploitation movies always tickles my fancy. Of course you hear words like “oi!”, “mate” and “bloody” but something new for me last night was discovering what a dunny was-that’s Australian slang for toilet! It’s a movie not full of laugh out loud moments-rather, it’s a serious tale w/ some chuckles that manages to be a chiller and even before I read some mutuals note that it had an Argento vibe, I thought “giallo” at points during the film.

It had a corker of an ending and overall was pretty solid between the cast & crew. Color me surprised that lead girl Jacki Kerin mainly did
Australian television shows and somehow director Tony Williams never did another fictional movie after this despite making three documentaries in the past decade. Anyhow, the film is well worth watching if you enjoyed some of the keywords I mentioned in the review.

Klaus Schulze passed away this past April; I am glad then that his score fit this movie like a glove… or perhaps a beret…

No comments:

Post a Comment