Monday, October 17, 2022

Halloween Ends

Halloween Ends (2022)

40% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 177 reviews)

Runtime: 111 minutes

Directed by: David Gordon Green

Starring: Jamie Lee Curtis, Andi Matichak, Rohan Campbell, Will Patton, James Jude Courtney

From: Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse

A movie... I did not hate but did not love either?!

What a review this will be; plenty will be said without diving into any spoilers. Waiting a few days and not viewing it ASAP on Thursday night may have helped; by the time this was experienced last night I heard it was incredibly polarizing, similar to Blonde except that I've seen more high ratings for this than that. By the time the movie started rolling, my expectations were rock bottom due to all the negative reviews while only hearing some basic facts as to why so many were upset w/ this film. To clarify my opinions of the films in this timeline,
the OG Halloween is still a classic, Halloween '18 was fine even with some bad comedy and a really stupid plot point, & Halloween Kills was mostly a disaster in plot and execution with bad ideas all around and a pathetic ending.

The fact that I knew beforehand this would go in odd unexpected directions definitely helped; to its credit at least this hardly had any stupid “comedy” like the previous two did (although unintentional laughs came from seeing BAND GEEKS as bullies) and the general idea wasn't bad... I'm just unsure if it belonged here at this time. Perhaps if they had actually planned this as a trilogy that would have helped, or even done this movie in the middle of the trilogy and had something else as the finale. What characters were focused on and what really wasn't, that's the beef that most of the dissenters had-definitely understandable.

For the story they were telling, most of the people in Haddonfield had to be real A-holes; there may be plotholes spotted by me if I ever saw this trilogy in a marathon during one long night. The movie still has its problems even if I did not hate the overall product... there definitely are issues in the final act and I shouldn't have laughed a few times during that stretch yet it happened.

Yet despite some bizarre character motivations the movie was watchable for me, thankfully not as aggravating as Halloween Kills. That said, no hate on the franchise fans fuming mad over how this was how they concluded the Michael Myers character... at least in this timeline. Ultimately, me liking it more than Kills is why the rating is higher-even if Ends definitely could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment