Saturday, October 1, 2022

Antoine & Colette

Antoine & Colette (1962)

Runtime: 30 minutes

Directed by: Francois Truffaut

Starring: Jean-Pierre Leaud, Marie-France Pisier, Patrick Auffay, Jean-Francois Adam, Francois Darbon

From: Les Films Du Carrosse

Yes, this was watched because it was only a half hour long. Having to assist my dad in picking up tree branches downed during Hurricane Ian (the worst damage that was done) really took it out of me; henceforth, I went to the Criterion Channel and checked out something originally made for an anthology known as Love at Twenty, the title rather self-explanatory as to the age of the lovers in each segment. I could actually watch the whole movie via the bowels of the Internet if I wanted to but even though another segment was directed by Andrzej Wajda, something a half hour in length was perfect for me.

The Antoine in question is Doinel, the lead character in The 400 Blows; no longer a juvenile delinquent, he now works in a record company and meets a potential love interest in Colette. In contrast she has a nice loving family and her parents seem to like him… but she sees more him as a friend. Thankfully the short doesn’t demonize her or try to suggest what would be known in the early 21st century as “being put in the friendzone” before the popularity of that concept was put out to pasture. As with The 400 Blows, the plot presented here is based in part on the experiences that Truffaut had earlier in life.

As music is a key component, therefore that aspect was nailed. Then again, many other aspects were also nailed rather well whether it be the story, the performances or just how darn charming this is. I was happy to see Antoine and his pal Rene again, nevermind him attempting to hook up w/ the pretty Colette or how he’s improved his life and now is able to have discussions concerning Victor Hugo and the merit of his authorship-and I learned who Herve Bazin was.

I’m not sure why Tarantino thinks of Truffaut so poorly that he compares him to ED WOOD but I’m never 100% in lockstep with him (I don’t even like all of QT’s films) so that won’t change my stance of really liking the few Truffaut pictures I’ve viewed in my life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment