Sunday, October 16, 2022

I Watched A David Lynch Short

1969's The Alphabet, to be exact.

Normally I’m not into the avant-garde, but… due to my busy schedule yesterday and TCM Underground playing David Lynch’s early shorts in the wee hours of Friday night, I went to the Criterion Channel and watched this 4 minute shot from the late 60’s. It allowed me for a shorter than usual review.

In the past it’s been mentioned how my tastes typically don’t venture into the avant-garde as it is not appealing to my tastes-thankfully the Lynch movies I’ve seen have never been as abstract & Dadaist as this as I would not have liked it as much. That said, this combination of live action-w/ Lynch’s then-wife Peggy and the cries of his infant daughter Jennifer-& animation managed to create the dichotomy of a horrifying few minutes from something as innocent as the alphabet. It’s not only the imagery (sometimes sexual in nature) but also the bizarre aural experience that made this something I’ll never forget. As the germ of the idea for this came from a dream that his wife’s niece had, I can’t complain about how dream-like this was.

No comments:

Post a Comment