Thursday, October 13, 2022

Money Movers

Money Movers (1978)

Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Bruce Beresford

Starring: Terence Donovan, Tony Bonner, Ed Deveraux, Candy Raymond, Bryan Brown

From: The South Australian Film Corporation/New South Wales Film Corporation

Last night, I discovered what a Chiko Roll was.

I’ll be real here: this was watched last night on YouTube as I saw it pop up in nice quality on a channel I’ve viewed movies on before. This may be the last non-horror picture I see the rest of October-there are many possible films I could view-but I did feel like a change of pace yesterday. Money Movers is an Ozploitation heist film I’ve heard of for years via websites, reviews from people I know online & podcasts.

Times have been tough for Darcy’s Security Services as of late; that armored car company has had to deal w/ a slew of robberies and they are trying to crack down. Of course there’s corruption (and not just at Darcy’s), some characters that seem wild to me-such as a former race car driver-but may just be a normal Aussie man, a breakneck pace, deaths, & Chiko Rolls. To be exact, that product was advertised on a sign during one scene-not having heard of it I had to pay a trip to Wikipedia to discover it is a fried tube containing beef, cabbage, barley, celery, onion, etc.

The movie opens with an armored car heist and it established right away that this wasn’t messing around; someone is blasted by a shotgun, the bloody damage on full display. A few minutes later, several characters are mowed down in a hail of bullets. Time is spent getting to know the various characters, including a crime boss. It’s a hard-hitting film which always captivated up to the big robbery at the counting house—the robbery itself then the aftermath is quite sublime. Those that dig the heist genre, this should definitely be tracked down; it should have everything that you want: the set-up, memorable characters, the planning of the scheme, the heist itself, things going catawampus.

No comments:

Post a Comment