Thursday, May 26, 2022

Ratatouille

Ratatouille (2007)

Runtime: 111 minutes

Directed by: Brad Bird/Jan Pinkava

Starring: Plenty of famous voices

From: Disney/Pixar

A review done by request. Specifically, my sister mentioned that I should see the film after I went on social media and discussed my visit to Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, a 4D ride that opened in Epcot this past September. I know it has received a mixed reaction and it is another new Disney ride gimmicked up with screens, but it’s still impressive on a technical scale & fun even if you haven’t seen the movie. Now that I have, I watched a YouTube video of the ride and my appreciation has risen.

It's a wacky tale where a rat named Remy acts more like a human being than his own species, learns how to cook and the lead human character is named ALFREDO LINGUINI. Yet I was still charmed by the movie that I heard was more “adult” than the typical Pixar entry. It has such nice themes as “Pursue your passion no matter the doubters”, excels at presenting the great message of “anyone can cook” (I wish I was better in the culinary arts; at least I do it more often and at least once in a while try to experiment), has gorgeous CG animation that is presented and shot as if it is live-action, and has a stunning score from Michael Giacchino.

There are more DNA tests, slapstick and a key character as a figment of someone’s imagination than I was expecting. Overall, I was glad to have finally seen this, even if Alfredo admittedly does some boneheaded things. At least it was quite easy to root for Remy and his experiences with his mischief of rats (no really, that’s what a group of that species is called). An interesting story, memorable supporting characters-the pretentious food critic Anton Ego being a shining example-nice setpieces (some of which inspired moments in Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure) and the infusion of Parisian style throughout made this very good. Also, if you love the movie then you should enjoy the new section added to the France pavilion at Epcot; it’s more than just the ride. There’s also a restaurant which offers some tasty crepes-the ride and that section does not deserve the hate it’s gotten in some circles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment