Monday, May 2, 2022

Chungking Express

Chungking Express (Chung Hing Sam Lam) (1994)

Runtime: 102 minutes

Directed by: Wong Kar-Wai

Starring: Brigitte Lin, Tony Leung, Faye Wong, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Valerie Chow

From: Jet Tone Production

Many will realize why I finally decided to watch this on May 1. Those that don't-and I didn't even know of this until online chatter I saw earlier yesterday-that day is important in the film as due to wacky sentimental reasons, the character in the first of the two stories presented purchases canned pineapple due to expire on May 1 as it's the favorite food of an ex that he can't get over. That alone sounded odd and once I saw the movie, there were some things that could have been a turn-off if done or presented differently. Then there is the fact that the majority of romantic movies just aren't of much interest to me.

After a few minutes where I was a little unwary, the movie did win me over. Like I said it presents two stories concerning love, although they both were about fate and something I've wondered before, which is: “what would have happened had I not met this particular person at a particular time?” I don't want to reveal too much but both stories revolve around men who have relationship issues and after chance encounters w/ a new woman, they think their problems are solved... if only if it was that easy; both dames have certain entanglements which complicates things.

It's a movie about vibes and love (specifically, longing for love) where both are of paramount importance; there's a catchy reggae tune, California Dreamin' by The Mamas & the Papas is heard frequently-which is fine as the song is pretty boss-a Cantonese cover of The Cranberries' Dreams is used, chef's salad, someone breaking into an apartment... to clean it, and to quote someone here, one of the guys is a real HIMBO. As it's a vibes movie it really is better experienced for yourself rather than a himbo like me attempting to describe the movie & its magic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment