Friday, May 13, 2022

Polar Bear

Yes, this is the brand new DisneyNature release that's exclusively on Disney +.

Presumably the most depressing DisneyNature film.

In the past I've reviewed two other movies from that line: Bears and Penguins. Both were impressive in terms of technical achievements in being able to capture such great footage of wildlife. It is paired with narration and a narrative which is definitely crafted and designed for children... which I don't love but at least there's programs like Planet Earth that are more to my tastes.

This was more of the same. Catherine Keener provides the narration as she voices an example of the title creature from cub to adulthood. The time period is supposed to be at least 6 years but color me skeptical at that claim. There's the suspicion I have that multiple bears were used during a relatively short amount of time. The narration is still simplistic compared to something voiced by David Attenborough... at least Keener tried her best with the material. Thankfully I was still impressed with all the work done to capture these wonderful Arctic creatures.

The reason why I state that this has a dark undercurrent flowing through the film: besides there being an unexpected death and a whale carcass that is fed on by all the polar beds in the vicinity, climate change is mentioned often. I know that's controversial but personally I believe it is not a hoax or poppycock... there is plenty of evidence to show that something bad is going on, and the negative consequences in the Arctic presents the idea that they will become endangered soon, if not completely extinct later in the 21st century. On that happy note...

You can decide on your own whether you and/or your kids will be watching this. Personally, I am sure that all my nephews and even my infant niece would like Polar Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment