Thursday, May 5, 2022

Bambi

Recently I signed up for Disney + again for at least the next month; it had been awhile. Some of the films I'll be watching are those I haven't viewed since I was a little kid-this being one of them. As I am sure is the case for many, the only moment I remembered was the fate of Bambi's mother; for decades now everyone knows that due to cultural osmosis.

It's a simple story where we see the titular Bambi from birth until he becomes an adult-he makes some friends, learns life lessons from mom and falls in love. That said it was a well-told story which had some tremendous assets: the gorgeous animation where at times (especially the opening minute) it appeared as if Disney was flexing & bragging how good it looked-it looked impressionistic not just for show... it had to be done that way to look the most realistic and lead animator Tyrus Wong was inspired by Chinese art-a lovely score, some enrapturing songs, charming characters-who couldn't be charmed by both Thumper and Flower?-and plenty of cute furry woodland creatures to enjoy.

That infamous scene w/ Bambi's mom did make me feel melancholy-those that have been following me after the late summer of 2020, I'll elaborate on Sunday why my mood will forever be wistful around the time of Mother's Day. But as for the movie itself, I admired the technical aspects as much as I did the timeless story that I'd be happy to show any of my four nephews... or my niece born just a few months ago, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment