Monday, April 10, 2017

The Grapes Of Death

The Grapes of Death (Les Raisins De La Mort) (1978)

Runtime: 85 minutes

Directed by: Jean Rollin

Starring: Marie-Georges Pascal, Felix Marten, Serge Marquand, Mirella Rancelot, Patrice Valota

From: Several French Companies

If only the movie was as good as its title... see why below in a short review:

They see me Rollin', they hatin'...

I am sorry for the goofy pun; I just couldn't help myself. Unfortunately this will be a shorter than usual review from me. I was hoping I'd enjoy this as the plot (insecticide is sprayed on grapes in the wine country of France and that causes people to be zombie-like creatures) sounded interesting. Alas, this was mostly “meh” and aside from some inspired bits, gory moments, and the type of gratuitous nudity you'd expect from Jean Rollin, but overall I can only rate this as average.

I do wish the zombie-like creatures would have been more like zombies, and the plot more engaging and characters I cared more about, but alas... at least it does have a nice Gothic and atmosphere. I wouldn't actually mind a remake as the premise is at least cool, even if I have been fatigued from zombies in entertainment for awhile now.

No comments:

Post a Comment