Sunday, April 23, 2017

Silver Streak

Silver Streak (1976)

Runtime: 114 minutes

Directed by: Arthur Hiller

Starring: Gene Wilder, and a cast which includes Ned Beatty, Jill Clayburgh, Scatman Crothers and Clifton James (RIP). Richard Pryor is also in this, but his role is not as big as the advertising would lead you to believe

From: 20th Century Fox

This was a movie I was happy to see for a second time, as it was as good as I had remembered. I also tip my cap to someone in this film who just passed away, as you'll see below:

Here is yet another movie I saw once before, but that viewing was years ago; thus, it was a good time for a revisit. Among its cast of familiar faces is Clifton James, who passed away last weekend in his mid 90's. He is best known for playing Sheriff J.W. Pepper in two Bond movies. Many hate the character, which I do understand. He also plays a sheriff here but don't worry, that character isn't quite as over the top. I will tip my cap to James, who acted on TV and in movies for decades and almost made it to 100 years old.

This comic thriller has book editor Gene Wilder on a train from Los Angeles to Chicago. He meets and hooks up with a blonde lady (Jill Clayburgh). He sees a murder but no one believes him. He runs into such people as Patrick McGoohan, Ray Walston, Scatman Crothers, Ned Beatty, Clifton James, Richard Kiel (he sports some interesting teeth... Jaws was not an entirely original creation, I'll put it that way), Fred Williard, and yes, Richard Pryor. He's not in the movie as much as you might expect, although I say he gets enough screentime for my tastes. You'll just have to wait awhile until he pops up out of nowhere.

Quite obviously, Hitchcock was a huge influence on this movie; it's like a sillier version of a Sir Alfred joint. The Lady Vanishes is naturally an inspiration, but other works are homaged, and there is even some noir elements. There are not only solid suspense/tense moments, but there are many funny moments, with some lines and situations that made me laugh out loud. There are a few moments that would be deemed “politically incorrect” these days, but none were too offensive to me personally. Not even an infamous moment where Gene and Richard have to avoid law enforcement at a train station raised my ire; I found it to be more silly than anything to be outraged by, although without question your mileage my vary.

With a bravura ending and it consistently being entertaining, I am glad I finally saw this movie again. The cast does a swell job overall, but it is Wilder and Pryor who were the standouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment