Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Ben-Hur

Ben Hur (1959)

Runtime: I saw the 222 minute version that has the Overture and Intermission

Directed by: William Wyler

Starring: Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins, Haya Harareet, Stephen Boyd, Hugh Griffith

From: MGM

As Easter is right around the corner, I figured it was time for me to sit down and watch this almost 4 hour film in one sitting, so I can review it. I know some may disagree but I feel that it still deserves its legendary status. I do not feel this way because I am listening to the critics of old who proclaimed it one of the best films of all time. I say it is still outstanding all these years later and despite its length I had no trouble watching it all at once and I never felt bored or had my mind wander to other things.

Considering we had that misguided remake from last year (not to mention how beloved this movie still is) I imagine most at least know the basics of the plot of how Judah Ben-Hur is a wealthy man who is turned against by a former friend so he becomes a slave until fate goes his way and he becomes a success again... oh and Jesus Christ shows up a few times and becomes an important part of the plot. Thus, I won't dwell on that.

Like I said, I never found this to be dull despite its epic runtime. The length was appropriate as no scene is rushed and there is plenty of time to tell the compelling story. Not to utter a cliché but they really don't make movies like this anymore. It is epic in scope and there are scenes with many, many extras. No matter your opinion on religion, the story is greatly compelling as it's a classic riches to rags to riches again story and anyone can get behind Ben-Hur and his desire for revenge against a former friend, his devotion to his faith (Judaism) and his love for his family. The fact that Heston is great in the role does help a lot; it's backed by such things as quality direction and a tremendous score from Miklos Rosza.


What everyone remembers about the movie is the epic chariot race sequence and that indeed is still a stunner even today. However, I say the movie is much more than just that scene. I say it's excellent throughout. Where there is a cringe-worthy moment or two (especially when a white man pretty much rubs shoe polish on his face to play “an Arab”... it's a nice performance and all, but that doesn't excuse it), overall I believe this is something everyone should see, even if I am sympathetic to how it's a big investment to check out something this long. Hopefully one day I can see it on the big screen, where I imagine it'll look great in its 2.76:1 scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment