Monday, April 3, 2017

Smokey & The Bandit II

Smokey and the Bandit II (1980)

Runtime: 100 minutes

Directed by: Hal Needham

Starring: Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jerry Reed, Jackie Gleason, a bunch of Burt's friends

From: Universal

I am sure most people realize this movie isn't good. Well, it's true, as I explain below:

In the summer of 2015 I rewatched the original Smokey-which I have seen often in my life-so I could review it here and despite its flaws, I'll always enjoy that silly yet charming movie with its laughs and big stunts. The sequels, I've never shared that same love. While I hadn't seen either in many years until I saw this last night (and I'll try to see the third soon, so I can get it out of the way), I never thought they were any good, and my opinion hasn't changed with this movie.

This script is full of contrivances. It's best not to explain how it happens, but Big & Little Enos rope in Snowman and The Bandit to transport an elephant from Miami to Dallas for the Republican National Convention. It's also best not to think of how you never see the elephant ever eat any food or how it was treated by all the characters, or why Frog would marry Junior a second time, or... things are like a big cartoon at times and I guess that is OK, except that this is not a lot of fun and it's mostly just stupid. There is an amusing sight gag or two and some funny lines (especially from Buford T. Justice, even if it's politically incorrect) but otherwise this doesn't have the magic of the original.

This is one of those Burt Reynolds movies where his various pals appear in the film so you get to see various “country and western stars” (as my parents would call them) and pro football players. I can't complain about that or the nice car destruction in the final act. The wasting of two other characters played by Jackie Gleason, not so much. But the worst aspect is seeing The Bandit as a deluded alcoholic loser. Sure, he improves as the plot progresses but seeing that was no fun nor was him and Frog arguing.

It's movies like this which helped kill Burt's career, and it's a shame that this couldn't be mindless fun like the original was. It's just lame. There's nothing else to say about it besides "lame".

No comments:

Post a Comment