Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Let Us Prey

Let Us Prey (2014)

Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Brian O'Malley

Starring: Liam Cunningham, Pollyanna McIntosh, Bryan Larkin, Hanna Stanbridge, Douglas Russell (no relation)

From: Plenty of Irish/British production companies

This is a movie that I did not love like many people do, but at least I saw it and was able to tell people on Letterboxd (and elsewhere) that it was leaving Netflix Instant next week. I give my thoughts below: 

This is another movie I watched due to a messageboard discussion. I saw some people praise it and make an obvious comparison to Last Shift, which came out at around the same time and I had seen before. Both are about a young woman who is a cop just out of the police academy who ends up in a far-flung station and weird things start happening. From there, the stories diverge.

Here, Pollyanna McIntosh joins the force in a rural Scottish town, when a mysterious bearded man shows up and causes havoc among the few other people working at the time, some prisoners, and even another person that stumbles onto the scene. The bearded man is known as Six and well, this movie is not exactly subtle...

I wish I could have liked this as much as most others did. The general idea was fine with me. Unfortunately, the execution... how it was done, it required most of the characters to be real A-holes, and they were more the annoying kind of A-holes than the entertaining A-holes I would have been able to tolerate much more. Also, the way it was done made the story utterly preposterous. The Fate of the Furious was a more believable and logical movie to me than this was. I was disappointed that this was not an enjoyable experience for me at all, despite decent performances all around, some amusing moments and graphic moments for those that enjoy gore.

Plenty of people liked this more than I did so you may think that I am mistaken in preferring Last Shift to Let Us Prey. At least I can say that this has a decent synth score and considering a character is named MacReady... you can see who was an obvious influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment