Thursday, March 12, 2020

American Gigolo

American Gigolo (1980) 

Runtime: 117 minutes

Directed by: Paul Schrader

Starring: Richard Gere, Lauren Hutton, Hector Elizondo, Nina van Pallandt, Bill Duke

From: Paramount

Note that I wrote this review before I saw that Showtime was thinking of turning this movie into a TV series: 

NOTE: This review is going up late as among other things, I was out late (Wednesday) afternoon... and the past two hours I have been distracted by the COVID-19 mass hysteria reaching heights that even have me blown away. ONE player in the NBA allegedly has it and the entire league shuts down indefinitely? The Tom Hanks/Rita Wilson news is greatly unfortunate but they're rich and famous so I am sure they'll be fine. As said last time, why is everyone acting like it is the Great Bubonic Plague, an automatic death sentence for anyone who contracts it? Anyhow...

Late last month I viewed Hardcore; it only seemed logical to soon thereafter view Paul Scharder's next film. I knew of the general plot and I had heard some tracks from Giorgio Moroder's soundtrack, including the retro radio staple Call Me, one of Blondie's most popular tunes.

Richard Gere is the titular gigolo, a cad who seemingly has a great life: Armani suits, a Mercedes convertible, and enjoying the services of rich older women. But appearances are deceiving, especially after he hooks up with Lauren Hutton, the wife of a state senator and oh yeah, he is apparently being framed for the brutal murder of a woman. Now, I did not love this as much as Hardcore and there are some story flaws. However, a few aspects are huge assets for the movie.

Gere as the lead was the biggest asset, as he was great in the role. He was a cocky SOB yet still charming, so I was invested in his fate and plight even if he had the ultimate “first world problems” sort of situation. I did not even know Bill Duke was in it until the opening credits; I was greatly entertained by the scumbag character he played, especially the detail that he hangs out at a discoteque called PROBE, which is in fact upscale yet still has some clientele dressed as if they just stepped off the set of Cruising. Yeah, it's not a place for “the straights.” Of course such things will tickle me pink. The fact that this was filmed as slick entertainment by Schrader and has an awesome score from Moroder where all the songs at the worst are “pretty cool”... finally watching this trash was a good decision on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment