Sunday, March 29, 2020

Pusher

Pusher (1996)

Runtime: 110 minutes

Directed by: Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Kim Bodnia, Zlatko Buric, Laura Drasbaek, Mads Mikkelsen, Slavko Labovic

From: Balboa Entertainment

This time I figuratively went to Denmark to revisit a movie after a long, long time:

This is a motion picture I've viewed before... albeit it was so long ago that not only was it years before Drive, it was before Mads Mikkelsen became famous. Since then I did see and enjoy Drive, loathed Only God Forgives and discovered that Nicolas Winding Refn was as insufferable and pretentious as Only God Forgives so I don't plan on seeing anything newer than that from him ever again. I did recall liking this at the time so I had to cross my fingers a bit that this has soured on me with the passage of time.

Thankfully that was not the case-as this is a 180 in terms of style compared to OGF-w/ this sordid tale of a minor drug dealer named Frank who has a rather rotten week after he gets roped into a big drug deal that turns sour after the cops show up... now his life is in a tailspin as he becomes increasingly desperate to try and earn the cash to pay off his massive debt. What a collection of sleazy characters we come across: other drug dealers, users, prostitutes, strippers, etc. Also, there is a lady I'll call “Danish Emilia Clarke.”

Pusher has some harsh moments yet isn't over the top gross and distasteful like in Drive and OGF. It is entirely shot with handheld cameras, lending intimacy to the proceedings. It is one of the most non-glamorous looks of the drug scene you'll see on celluloid; such substances will ruin you no matter where in the world you are. There were many quality moments that now I am sure I won't forget for years to come... but Mads Mikkelsen as Alex's friend Tonny is tremendous; he wears gauche clothing, has 90's Eurotrash glasses, is shaved bald with a “Respect” tattoo on the back of his noggin, and utters some phrases so vulgar I dare not repeat them here.

While not for all tastes, the movie was a thrilling look at a few days in the life of some less than reputable characters and thankfully was not smug or obtuse like the director later became. I have never viewed the sequels but one day I will. I doubt I'll ever check out the 2012 British remake due to bad word of mouth... the 2010 Hindi remake (!) I will presume is a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment