Thursday, March 12, 2020

Time To Catch Up... My New Thoughts On The Seventh Seal

The Seventh Seal was a movie I watched and reviewed in December 2014; even then I knew that it was something I needed to see again to better appreciate. Viewing it a second time, I realized it would be best if I don't go too in-depth on how I interpret the movie as it is best if the viewer decides for themselves the meanings and lessons that Bergman was attempting to say here. Seeing this was a natural after Max von Sydow passed away; while I did not mention him by name in the Flash Gordon review I did just days ago, him as Ming was one of the many highlights and I've enjoyed his work in plenty of movies, from legendary fare like The Exorcist to nonsense like Judge Dread to even dreck like Rush Hour 3, which is something I do not wish to see again anytime soon so it can receive a review here.

The movie being about von Sydow's character facing Death did not seem like in poor taste, as his Knight does battle with seeking redemption for himself and wanting to feel like he did something good with his life before he leaves the mortal coil, while wrestling with his belief in God and questioning if He even exists. Also, the movie's setting of The Middle Ages and The Great Bubonic Plague being the keystone event that hangs over the entire picture... I am not sure why in 2020 everyone is acting like COVID-19 is the second coming of The Great Bubonic Plague but to me it's absolutely asinine how the entire world has WAY overreacted to it... shortages of many items (including toilet paper, for some reason), multiple public events being canceled or being held in front of zero spectators... it is mass hysteria at its irrational worst. Also, what a lousy excuse for the new Bond movie being moved all the way to November, when “the film is probably not that good” is the reason I suspect the date actually changed. The disease is not the automatic death sentence everyone thinks it is and as I wash my hands, my concern level is more my befuddlement over this stupid panic rather than contracting COVID-19, which the last I heard has only killed 22 people in the United States.

Anyhow... the movie also covers mass hysteria, and the presence of a woman being persecuted for allegedly being a witch. As this is a deeply metaphorical movie there are naturally many interpretations of what it all means. It is a scathing takedown of religion's shortcomings and how it seemingly cannot answer many dark questions? That is up for the viewer to decide what Bergman is trying to say as he apparently is attempting to exorcise his own demons from the past when it comes to God and religion. At least there are inspiring characters in the caravan troupe of Jof, Mia, the jester Jonas and toddler Mikael. The Seventh Seal has its humorous moments amongst all the dark material and serious existentialism going on. A second viewing of this was a wise decision, as I now better appreciate this legendary piece of work.

No matter how you view the plot, what is shown on screen and also all the work done behind it... a masterpiece it is. Between the direction, gorgeous black and white cinematography and tremendous characters brought to life it was a movie I was happy to revisit. But it is von Sydow as Antonius Block who is the most unforgettable aspect, the acting role that made him a star and once he finally started appearing in motion pictures outside of Sweden, that led to The Exorcist, Flash Gordon, and a panoply of other performances I have liked for all these years. This seemed like the perfect way to tip my cap to Max von Sydow; RIP to him.

One last thing: the early 90's were a wild time. To think that two movies had parodies of The Seventh Seal's Death character that were critical to the plot in The Last Action Hero and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment