Friday, April 19, 2019

Penguins



Runtime: 76 minutes

Directed by: Alastair Fothergill/Jeff Wilson

Starring: This is a documentary narrated by Ed Helms

From: Disneynature

Not a bad way to spend a rainy Friday afternoon: 

This film uses a song from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack.

Before this afternoon I had never seen any Disneynature movies before. It is neat sometimes watching nature documentaries but I had heard that these films concoct a story based on the footage they have for the sake of being appealing to the kids. However, this being shown on IMAX and me paying a flat fee to AMC to see multiple movies there per month, this seemed like it was worth a shot.

Ed Helms narrates a passage of time in the Antarctic where STEVE the Adelie penguin meets a mate, they have baby chicks and raise them until they all go their separate ways. There is a story that is forced here and Helms sometimes also speaks as Steve and says some goofy things. I have a feeling that multiple penguins portray Steve and this was done to craft some sort of narrative. That said, at least the narration never became so annoying to me that it turned me off.

I can say this is fine overall; it's a story that the entire family can enjoy and naturally, the setting leads to gorgeous visuals throughout and it was filmed very well. This isn't hardcore scientific like you'd get from a Planet Earth or a National Geographic production but I knew that'd be the case beforehand. The score for the movie was also fine... the highlight was that unbeknownst for me, some 70's and 80's songs randomly appear. The opening credit being done to Patti LaBelle's Stir It Up (from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack) was not something I could have ever predicted. Other tunes are from the likes of REO Speedwagon and Whitesnake... hell yeah!

This was an easy 76 minute watch and at least I got to see pretty scenery in a big and clear way.

No comments:

Post a Comment