Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Threads

Threads (1984)

Runtime: 118 minutes

Directed by: Mick Jackson

Starring: Karen Meagher, Reece Dinsdale, David Brierley, Rita May, and the voice of Paul Vaughan

From: BBC/Nine Network/Western-World Television Inc.

I've known of the infamy of Threads for years now; after last night... its reputation isn't a lot of hot air:

People across the pond in the UK may be surprised to hear that I had never seen this before. I mean, it was shown in the United States on television in the 80's and it could be purchased on video... I just never got around to it. Although, hearing that it traumatized many people at the time due to its incredibly bleak nature was another factor, as I'd have to psyche myself up to view something so depressing.

Turns out, this was indeed a stone cold bummer. The first half of this (done as a docudrama, with occasional narration) sets everything up and it begins with several different characters being followed in the blue collar town of Sheffield, England.. the families of a young couple who have to deal with an unexpected pregnancy and the poor sap who was chosen to lead the operations in case of national emergency... even though he's only had a few classes and everyone involved there would be woefully unprepared if the worst does happen. The escalation of hostilities between the United States and USSR is only expressed via newspaper, radio and television reports. Pretty soon, that news moves from the background to foreground as panic rises over the worst possibly happening. There is a lot of dread already as chaos reigns supreme over rioting and general chaos. Once the bombs are dropped... My God.

The film was designed as an anti-war piece and a bold message over fears of a nuclear war. Threads is unflinching in showing how everyone will be absolutely miserable as there's nuclear winter, people dying of radiation sickness, looting, there is martial law... this is among the bleakest, most depressing movies I've ever seen. I can only compare it to Come and See in terms of tone. Things only become sadder as it's not just the immediate aftermath that is shown, but the timespan is months then years. Then there's the conclusion...

Like with Come and See, it's a worthwhile motion picture which I probably will never watch again as the entire process was pretty grueling and I do not know if I want to put myself through that again. There was a contemporary to this film, an American made for TV movie called The Day After which I understand is less explicit as American broadcast TV standards were pretty stringent at the time yet is rather morose in its own ways; one day I'll review that. For now, I'll state the obvious and say that I hope nuclear weapons are never used in battle. I understand why they are around and stockpiled (as a means to prevent any other country from using them) but this film alone is a message that the entire planet would be ruined forever if the unthinkable ever occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment