Saturday, April 20, 2019

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie (1980)

Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Thomas Chong

Starring: Cheech & Chong & plenty of famous faces in small roles

From: Universal

Happy 4/20, everybody!

I couldn't think of a better thing to do in the evening of April 20th than view a Cheech & Chong film. This is one I had seen before but the last viewing was a long, long time ago. For me, you don't have to be smokin' a fat spliff to enjoy this movie and its stoner humor, although it helps... or rather, I am sure that it helps...

This does not have too much of a plot; the leads get into various adventures as they live together in an absolutely disgusting house, both have job troubles, and they (and also Cousin Red, also played by Cheech Marin) interact with a bizarre variety of characters throughout. That's the film in a nutshell. It definitely won't be for everyone-even I can admit this is uneven as hell-and there are some rather off-color jokes, but for me there are enough laughs (there are some bits I have remembered for all these years) to where I can say this is fine and honestly, this is far too goofy & juvenile to take that seriously.

You may be surprised to hear that quite a few famous faces appear here in small or bit roles, before they became famous. Paul Reubens has a role... and also briefly shows up as Pee Wee Herman. There's Jake Steinfeld, Michael Winslow, Rita Wilson... and Reubens wasn't the only person from The Groundlings comedy troupe that is in the film. There is also Edie McClurg, Cassandra Peterson not as Elvira, and Phil Hartman.

To me the Cheech & Chong films got appreciably worse after this one, so that was a big reason why I chose this one in particular. If you don't celebrate this particular day, I hope everyone has and had a nice Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment