Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Eraser

Eraser (1996)

Runtime: 115 minutes

Directed by: Chuck Russell (no relation)

Starring: Arnold, James Caan, Vanessa Williams, Robert Pastorelli, James Coburn

From: Warner Bros.

What a blast from the past this movie was... it reminded me of how R-rated action pics used to be: 

There's nothing quite like watching mid 90's CGI in modern times.

This film was on late at night on BBC America (of all channels) so I gave this a whirl. The plot description provided on the Letterboxd page is sufficient so I don't need to reiterate that; I will just mention that this new weapon is handheld EMP guns and as used in the film, they are pretty wacky. Then again, several utterly preposterous moments occur in this film, none of which I'll spoil for those interested in eventually checking this out.

This isn't one of Arnold's best films by any means, yet at least for me it provided enough of what I expect with one of his action pictures, which is... SOB's being beat up shot at and killed... some funny moments, and one-liners. It helps that there are some quality actors in the cast; James Coburn shows up for only a few scenes but James Caan has a substantial role. Some action setpieces are in familiar locations for genre fans-others are in different places.

A scene is set in a gay club and thankfully that was more silly than offensive; to me, more objectionable moments are all the Italian mobster stereotypes, the fate of a poor alligator... and the 90's CG. I know they tried their best with the technology of the time but yikes it looks TERRIBLE; at least the main reaction I got from that was laughter. After all, this is a silly movie where one of the Italian mobster stereotypes has to be used by the heroes in an important moment by... impersonating a pizza delivery driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment