Saturday, July 14, 2018

Boo! A Madea Halloween


Runtime: 103 minutes

Directed by: Tyler Perry, although “directed” is being used loosely here

Starring: Tyler Perry, a bunch of random people, and apparently some “YouTube celebrities”, none of whom I recognized

From: Lionsgate/Tyler Perry Studios

My God...

For a long while now I've been curious about seeing a Tyler Perry movie, and I don't mean those that he just acts in. I mean ones from his studio. All the success he's had working independently is commendable... except that for just about as long I've heard complaints concerning how awful and low-rent those films were. I have had enough detailed reviews of this motion picture in general to expect the worst, but when I saw it was available for free on Prime, I couldn't help myself and watched it last night despite it being a few months away from Halloween.

This... this was atrocious. Madea and her Goof Troop buddies, all of them were intolerable characters that yelled all the time and uttered plenty of gross comments; I hated all of them. Perry out of makeup plays a dad named Brian who is a wimp that is a pushover and he has a 17 year old daughter named Tiffany who is a shrill stereotype of the worst teenager you could imagine. She wants to go to a frat party (apparently populated by “YouTube celebrities”, none of whom I recognized) but is denied for obvious reasons. She and a friend sneak out and the Goof Troop try to find them. A LOT of intelligence-insulting moments happen, along with all the “old people” incessantly babbling, yelling and repeating the same six jokes over and over again. For example, someone being a “computer” hacker means they can control a faucet that has traditional handles... and also causes words to be written on a mirror as someone is looking at the mirror.

The movie is also ineptly made and if you love establishing shots in your movies, have I have a treat for you. Then again I understand there are other Perry works that might as well be made by Coleman Francis, they are so laughably put together. Heck, a big plot point is that 17 year olds at a frat party is bad news, but 18 year old guests are OK... even though the legal drinking age everywhere in the United States is 21. Oh, what a long agonizing sit this was.

I was going to give this a modicum of credit for the moment where father and daughter change and their relationship is not so awful any longer... then it's ruined by buffoonery and a plot point that was REALLY stupid. Honestly, even I was taken aback by how awful this was; what particularly offends me is that these movies are actually popular and people actually uproariously laugh at them. There is a depressing thought. I'll presume his dramas are better, as I hear they are absurd and they won't be jam-packed with putrid “comedy”.

No comments:

Post a Comment