Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Prowler


Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Joseph Losey

Starring: Van Heflin, Evelyn Keyes, John Maxwell, Katherine Warren, Emerson Treacy

From: Horizon Pictures

I finally see another noir, and it was long overdue. Thankfully this is well worth checking out: 

In hindsight, perhaps due to my A/C problems (which are now fixed; a clogged pipe was the issue) I should have watched something like Body Heat last night as I was outside on the laptop. Alas... there are plenty of hot days in Florida so one day I'll get to that.

I realized recently it had been too long since I had watched a film noir; also recently a mutual gave this a strong review and this was one I had heard of before. As it's free on Prime, this seemed like a natural choice. This reminded me how noirs can be a lot of fun to explore; even one like this that is not as famous as the shining genre examples... this is something I am glad I saw as it is very good.

Van Heflin is police officer Webb Garwood; he and his polar opposite partner Bud Crocker respond to a prowler call at the house of Susan Gilvray (Evelyn Keyes). Garwood becomes smitten with her and it quickly turns to obsession. Unfortunately for him, she's married... although it is a loveless marriage. At first you think that only he will manipulate her; then you find out she reciprocates things as she also manipulates him.

This story proved to be quite interesting, with some unique complications happening for the two leads; it has to be noted that Dalton Trumbo did uncredited work on the script. Much of the movie is just the two leads acting against each other, and thankfully both Heflin and Keyes were great in roles that turned out to be pretty layered. To give an example, Garwood is haunted by his inadequacies and this has been a long-seated issue. Of course it becomes a big deal later on.

The Prowler is a particularly dark noir and those that dig the genre should check this out, particularly for the lead performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment