Monday, July 16, 2018

The Night Eats The World


Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Dominique Rocher

Starring: Mainly Anders Danielsen Lie, although there's also the likes of Golshifteh Farahani

From: Several French companies

For a film playing in not a lot of locations currently, this was fine... although the audience experience was quite bad: 
  
This movie was another one I used my AMC Stubs A-List app to see. I was in a different part of the state yesterday and I had a special day (wait until I talk about it in my next review); it capped out with me seeing this French film-now also on VOD-and as it's not playing in the area I live in... unfortunately I did not care for the staff at this AMC and the audience experience was pretty rotten. A shame, as this movie was interesting and a different look at the “tired for a good amount of time now” zombie genre. 

The opening scene: the opening to Cloverfield, in essence. A dude named Sam is at a party to retrieve some items from an ex. Things don't go well and he stays the night there after having a few drinks He wakes up and discovers a zombie apocalypse happens and not only is he the only one alive in the apartment complex, but as far as he can see, he's the only person in Paris who is not a member of the undead. He has a good cry about it but then tries to think logically as to how to survive as long as he can in this situation. He does surprisingly well considering the circumstances but he does F up a few times and understandably, the isolation starts to wear him down.

Admittedly, some aspects could be nitpicked; yet I still found it to be a different way to look at such a plot and thankfully for a movie where most of the time where there is only one person doing non-zombie things, Anders Danielsen Lie as Sam does well in the role and I was never bored. I do get how some think this movie is dull or even pretentious; for me I rate it as fine. I realize this is not a popular opinion but those French Extreme movies from the early 2000's, I was not a fan of any of them. Personally, they seemed to be more about being gross with gore rather than tell an interesting or entertaining or even a logical story. I was glad this was not that, although it was in English and the lead actors were not from France.

I wish the audience experience was better but I was glad it was only the crowd I found to be insufferable, not the movie itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment