Friday, July 27, 2018

Mission: Impossible-Fallout



Runtime: 147 minutes

Directed by: Christopher McQuarrie

Starring: Tom Cruise and the rest of the gang, along with Henry Cavill and Angela Bassett

From: Paramount

All the tremendous praise you likely heard about this latest edition in the Mission: Impossible series... I say that praise is not inaccurate: 

As of late, I have seen plenty of people on Letterboxd rewatching the entire franchise before Fallout was released. I had already seen all of them before and did not feel like I needed to do new reviews. Yet I was definitely excited to see this; Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation were the best of the five so far and hearing that the sixth did the incredibly rare feat of being the best one... I usually don't get too hyped up for movies but it was hard not to here. I saw this at a Dolby Cinema; it was not the usual one I attend in Orlando as the usual one I have never had a problem with before, which is in contrast to where I was at last night... this one has the larger screen, which is why I even gave it a second chance. There being a 20 minute delay with the start of the movie was not ideal, but there was an lol moment where for part of the time, all that was on screen was a Windows taskbar, and it was an older version of Windows at that. To be fair, once things were working, there were no issues and the picture/sound was breathtaking. 

I can now report that this movie is as great as many have said already. I am sure everyone has seen the trailers (although not all the footage from those trailers is in the film. Of course that is common now-a-days...) so I don't need to say much about even the basic plot; the “big baddie” from Rogue Nation returns and Henry Cavill speculates if Ethan Hunt will turn because there's been so many times where his own government has disavowed him. All I'll say is that there are plenty of twists & turns, but I am sure that is no surprise for those familiar with this series.

The story is the most enthralling of the entire franchise and it was fun watching the familiar faces along with the new ones interacting with each other. Ethan Hunt was humanized here and it was definitely likable to see that he cared about his team as they are all his friends. Henry Cavill may have questionable views about dating women in the “Me Too” era but he was a quality choice as someone who can act and was also an imposing figure who you could believe would hold his own against an Asian man who of course knows martial arts. Also, I will never not chuckle at how this movie trolled Justice League by not having him shave his mustache so (and I've seen the stills) you have Cavill as Superman with bad CG on his face to remove said mustache.

For me, the key is the action scenes; Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation had ones that were pretty impressive, with Tom Cruise doing plenty of them on his own even if it is insane for a big star to risk his life like that. However, the ones here: jaw-dropping. There are several stellar action sequences, all pretty lengthy, all shot well, and all incredibly thrilling. This is what I want Hollywood, not that hyper-active editing or camera shaking nonsense. There is a long stretch in the final act where a lot happens and it's all a blast to watch. I can't put over strongly enough just how great the action beats are.

Since last night I was struggling with what I should rate this; there is a fault or two I could criticize if I wanted to, mainly concerning the story. After thinking about it, I went with the full five stars; of course I don't rate all movies the same way and of course there are always biases that creep in. For me, going with such a score is to highly reward not only an intense story but how the action is so astonishing and like I just said, exactly what I want from all genre efforts from Hollywood. I realize that doing everything practical is, well... not always practical due to cost or time constraints and all the effort & skill required or in fight scenes if the stars can actually fight or not... I was very happy to see it could still be done and the results were so spectacular. The fact that there's a wide variety in the action (as you noticed in the trailers, there were fights, all sorts of chases and shootouts) and none of it was less than great: I might as well reward a movie for doing something so critical, so right in my eyes. All that plus me enjoying the characters and the moments with each other: it just seems right to give this such a rating.

I won't go into detail here, except that yesterday some things happened to some people I know, and it was the sort of things that made me feel sad. It was a tremendous reprieve then to see a movie that provided a mammoth amount of fun and helped brighten the mood for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment