Friday, July 6, 2012

El Condor



Runtime: 102 minutes

Directed by: John Guillerman

Starring: Jim Brown, Lee Van Cleef, Patrick O'Neal, Marianna Hill

From: National General Pictures

Here's a random movie I hadn't even heard of until a few days ago. I checked the schedule for what was on late at night on the Showtime/The Movie Channel channels and this movie popped up. The two leads were certainly appealing and so was the premise of the duo leading a bunch of Apache warriors (led by Iron Eyes Cody) to raid a Mexican fort that is said to contain a large stash of gold. I was hoping this Western set in the 1860's would turn out to be good.

I basically mentioned the plot already: Luke (Brown) is an escaped convict who hears about the gold stash at El Condor; he runs into Jaroo (Van Cleef), a lout of a guy who loves to drink and drink. Jaroo happens to associate with the Apache and even speaks their language. They all agree to go after the gold. They meet up with the evil general who runs the fort (O'Neal) and his lady, the shapely Hill.

As I heard elsewhere, the movie isn't spectacular but it is still rather entertaining; I agree with those sentiments. The leads work well together, the action usually is pretty entertaining and there are some nice sequences, the big Condor set is rather nice-looking, and to my surprise there was no shortage of nudity. I mean, at one point there's full-frontal... not that I was complaining! Speaking of sets, Ms. Hill... well, let's just say you get to see her bare Hills, and she must work out as she's fit... to paraphrase an IMDb commenter.

Sure, at times it seems the film may be confused about the messages it's trying to tell; otherwise, though, it's just enjoyable to watch and I am not quite sure why it's so obscure now.

I'll be back Monday night with a new review.

No comments:

Post a Comment