Sunday, July 22, 2012

Batman Begins



Runtime: 140 minutes

Directed by: Christopher Nolan

Starring: Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Cillian Murphy

From: Warner Brothers

My apologies for this going up a day late. My schedule was more jam-packed than expected and the entire evening was taken up by a UFC show that turned out to not be so good, especially the pay per view version.

I already talked about this movie on Friday and how I don't understand why so many people love it. I'll try now to explain my opinion without saying too much about the plot, even though most people have already seen the film by now. It was interesting to see it on an IMAX screen, I will admit that.

I'm sure the plot is well-known by now: the title explains pretty well that you see how Bruce Wayne became Batman, from him as a kid and his parents getting killed by Joe Chill, to him going around the world as an adult and meeting up with Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows to returning to Gotham and becoming the crime-fighting superhero doing battle against the mob and other elements. Suddenly, a threat comes and Batman has to do a lot to combat it.

After seeing it on the big screen it's ultimately a movie I strongly dislike. It's unfortunate as the Gotham presented here looks nice (I don't know why the Gothams you see in all three movies look noticeably different, as that's just dumb), the performers all try their best with what they're given (even Holmes is better than expected), and the general idea of the plot is certainly fine.

However, what turns me off is that too many characters just act like douches/real stupid, the fight scenes are horribly done to the point you can barely make any of them out, and just too much makes zero sense, especially the laughable third act. The Scarecrow as a villain... come on now. I don't care about what he is in the comics, some random idiot wearing a cloth sack on his head isn't a scary bad guy to me; it just makes me laugh. And does more than half of the dialogue need to come across as EPIC PROCLAMATIONS instead of something that comes across as realistic and natural?

Yet, many people love this, and Nolan as a director. I guess I'll never get it. At least this film had a role for Rutger Hauer, but that's definitely not enough.

With my schedule, I am sure I'll be back tomorrow night with The Dark Knight, a movie that I still enjoy despite itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment