Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Carry On Loving

Carry On Loving (1970)

Runtime: 86 minutes

Directed by: Gerald Thomas

Starring: Many of the usual Carry On crew

From: The Rank Organisation

I needed to have some laughs yesterday. My plans were screwed up; I had Tuesday afternoon free so I was going to view something then type up a review for posting that evening, then another film soon after that for today’s review. However, I received news that someone I knew casually (it was not in this universe of being a film fan) had unexpectedly passed away. He wasn’t much older than me and understandably I was bummed about that news. Thus, yesterday evening I instead made public a list I had private for a little bit; that was all about the made for TV movies I’ve seen in the past decade.

After the news broke of someone I knew passing away less than a day after the news of Treat Williams dying, a film to lighten the mood was needed. Henceforth, my first Carry On picture in months. To see this in the correct aspect ratio, I turned to… a Facebook video, of all things. The movie was exactly what you’d expect from the franchise and the premise of Sid James & Hattie Jacques as a couple running a dating agency. It really is a series of sketches loosely tied together which feature amazing 70’s clothing and décor; the latter had some interiors which almost seemed like they were straight from A Clockwork Orange. There’s also a hilariously fake-looking 1970 version of a “computer”, although there is a reason why.

By this point the franchise had become bawdier than before but otherwise there are few surprises. Yet, with this series if you laugh at the dirty jokes and enjoy the familiar faces playing the expected archetypal roles, then you should be satisfied with this entry. There’s misunderstandings, makeovers & more mayhem, culminating in a finale involving a trope that will never not be funny.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment