Thursday, June 22, 2023

Extraction 2

Extraction 2 (2023)

Runtime: 122 minutes

Directed by: Sam Hargrave

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Golshifteh Farahani, Adam Bessa, Tornike Gogrichiani, Tornike Bziaka

From: Netflix

Featuring a long scene well worth the price of a Netflix subscription.

Because of my schedule I wasn’t able to view this the day it dropped but last night I finally had the free time. As this was a big reason why I subscribed to Netflix again (I undoubtedly enjoyed the first adventure of Tyler Rake) I was like many others in having their anticipation levels high w/ the sequel.

It is a little silly that there even is a Part 2 considering the conclusion of the original; he does take months to recover so it’s not like Seagal springing to life right away after his seven year coma in Hard to Kill. Then again, there are admittedly even bigger absurdities present here. This time the climate is snow-covered as he must extract a family from a secure location in Georgia-the country, not the state-although of course there are complications. Due to recency, further details won’t be revealed as that could spoil it for many of my mutuals.

By this point I had heard some scuttlebutt about the film; not everyone was a fan. I heard about “an odious character” and how they did not like the non-action scenes. What I WILL reveal: there is a damn training montage early on, and while brief it was as amusing as described… also, as it looked like something straight out of Rocky IV there should have been an 80’s song over that clip. Now, I can admit the story’s flaws and how when there’s humor sometimes it lands with a thud—I’m looking at you, scene devoted to discussion of TikTok! There are reasons why most of what the Russo Brothers have written has been avoided by me.

That said, the plot is not the main reason for people to press “play” once they’re in Netflix. Those that want an entertaining story and action that delivers—you will be satisfied. The highlight is a LONG simulated one take scene which was breathtaking. No action beats afterwards deliver with the same ferocity or are a bravura tour de force; yet, all of it thrilled me, including all the Dudes Getting Wrecked ™ moments.

A villain that’s more than one dimensional goof, action that always delivered, a globetrotting adventure, more for Golshifteh Farahani to do (that will make some of my mutuals happy)… more from what I know than have experienced first-hand, the first two movies in what will undoubtedly be a franchise are a cut above most of the original action movies that Netflix offers-at least the ones that aren’t from places like Indonesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment