Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Running Scared (The One From The 80's)

Running Scared (1986)

Runtime: 107 minutes

Directed by: Peter Hyams

Starring: Gregory Hines, Billy Crystal, Jimmy Smits, Darlanne Fluegel, Dan Hedaya

From: MGM

This is one of the movies I recorded off the DVR a few weeks ago. I only discovered last night that some of the pictures recorded were not what I was expecting due to the cable guide being wrong... I put full blame on HBO and Cinemax for that. Nothing can't be seen elsewhere and at least I feel more at ease that there isn't as much now for me to watch soon. Running Scared was something I'd seen before, albeit ages ago. I wanted to confirm that the wacky idea of Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines in a buddy cop comedy filled with R-rated language and violence still works for me... it does.

They are two police detectives-not the most plausible idea but I'm able to roll with it-in Chicago who have to deal with relationship drama and not getting along with their boss Dan Hedaya yet it's mostly them trying to bust drug kingpin Jimmy Smits. Of course it's the 80's so it's all about cocaine. The cast is certainly nice; along with the aforementioned actors there's also “Joey Pants”, Steven Bauer, Jon Gries and Darlanne Fluegel. Even if the leads aren't always ethical to the suspects by 2022 standards, that is OK as the movie has enough laughs for me even if the plot can be leisurely at times.

Thankfully there's also enough action and that is satisfying too. The shootouts are as expected yet there's also some creative setpieces involving the distinctive James R. Thompson Center building and a chase involving Chi-town's L train tracks. Several minutes are spent in Key West (I won't spoil why) and it all screams “80's excesses”. Nothing personifies that more than the soundtrack and score. Michael McDonald's Sweet Freedom is the most famous tune yet what tickles my fancy more is the title song from Fee Waybill of The Tubes fame. That is one of the most 1980's tunes I've ever heard.

While there's better buddy cop comedies out there-along with Peter Hyams pictures I enjoy more-it is still a fun time, a nice artifact from its decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment