Sunday, March 27, 2022

Ratsasan

Ratsasan (2018)

Runtime: 145 minutes

Directed by: Ram Kumar... what a name

Starring: Vishnu Vishal, Amala Paul, Radha Ravi, Sangili Murugan, Munishkanth

From: Axess Film Factory

I usually dig Indian movies... unfortunately this is an exception. There's plenty available on streaming for films from that part of the world. At least there's some resources to try and whittle down the vast selection; besides Letterboxd there's a special section on IMDb which solely lists the highest rated films overall then by several languages. As this Tamil language picture has high marks that's what I selected.

It sounded like a straightforward, serious tale where a wannabe filmmaker turned novice police officer (it was a family favor where he got the job) starts investigating a serial killer targeting high school girls. Unfortunately, the editing at times was too frenetic-especially in the first act, where it just about gave me a headache-and even this managed to include a few comedic moments. Note that this movie also had a subplot involving pedophilia!

This is not all bad; the 145 minute version I saw (there are differing reports on how long this actually was; other places I've seen 170 minutes so is the copy available for streaming cut down?) wasn't terrible; just disappointing considering most enjoyed this quite a bit more than me. It's just that the movie is also rather absurd in terms of villain and motivation. There is a twist and affliction that if done in an English language horror/thriller film before it was too obscure for anyone to know about. That alone was fine but it becomes just ludicrous; it's not like the movie was Malignant, which you aren't supposed to take seriously... I'll just shrug my shoulders and hopefully watch more Indian cinema soon. In the past I've noted more than once that I should do it and it doesn't happen-this time I should try and live up to my promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment