Monday, May 17, 2021

I Revisited Top Gun

For those that have an AMC Theatres with a Dolby Cinema, you can watch Top Gun on the big screen for the next few days. This is what I did yesterday afternoon. It's a movie I've seen a few times before (it's not even the first revival screening; that had to be around 2008 or so) and early last year reviewed here. That linked review should be read first as my opinion on this has not changed and I don't want to reiterate everything I wrote less than 18 months ago.

Naturally, the movie looked and sounded great; it's always nice to hear the glorious soundtrack/score theatrically. Top Gun still has plenty of silly moments yet at least it is still an engaging time which has a nice cast and action scenes that still work 35 years later. Seeing this with 2021 eyes, I recall the talking point that some have concerning modern movies having flawless protagonists (::coughcoughReycoughcough::); thank heavens that Pete “Maverick” Mitchell has plenty of doubts and fears which make him relatable. Also, it's nice that Iceman is a rival yet isn't a stereotypical A-hole and in fact has valid criticisms of Maverick's behavior in the air.

While I am not 100% sure that Top Gun: Maverick is needed, I'll still see it whenever it comes out-currently that will be November, but the way the past year has been that could change at least 5 more times before it is finally released. Hopefully the new movie turns out right but one thing I am certain of: the sequel won't be incredibly homoerotic to the point that people interpret it as “a story of a man's struggle with his own homosexuality.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment