Friday, May 14, 2021

Bringing Up Baby

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Runtime: 102 minutes

Directed by: Howard Hawks

Starring: Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Charles Ruggles, Walter Catlett, Barry Fitzgerald

From: RKO

This past Wednesday was Katharine Hepburn's birthday; thus, Turner Classic Movies played her films all day. This was recorded off of the DVR and watched two evenings ago. Now, to be honest I wasn't sure just based on what I heard how I would take Hepburn's character. I understood she was rather nutty and it would have been easy for me to have massively been turned off by someone so flighty. At first I wasn't sure about this movie, between the early actions of Susan Vance and Cary Grant as paleontologist who is absent-minded himself and has a wet blanket of a spouse-to-be.

But soon I just rolled with the punches and I did laugh quite a bit at the increasingly absurd situations-not to mention the manic pace this has-the two leads found themselves in; that included a bone from a brontosaurus and a pet leopard, the titular Baby. At least Grant's character (David Huxley) has a more entertaining life with Vance-who I will insult because I'll make a comparison to Paris Hilton but she is an airhead heiress-than he does with his sour, stern fiancee. At least she was not truly intolerable like ANY Kardashian/Jenner blight on humanity...

I was unsure how much to say about the film in general; the end decision there was not to reveal too much and instead speak in generalities. Of course, huge assets in this movie's favor include the two leads, a talented supporting cast (from Charles Ruggles and Barry Fitzgerald to Virginia Walker and May Robson) and a legendary director in Howard Hawks. It did not take long for me to be won over by this motion picture; it has what you'd expect from this genre-mistaken identity, a couple that at first feuds but then of course they change their mind, etc.-and quite a few unforgettable moments. I haven't seen enough screwball comedies by any means but those interested in the genre (no matter how little) definitely should track this down.

No comments:

Post a Comment