Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Ridiculous 6

The Ridiculous 6 (2015)

Runtime: 119 long agonizing minutes

Directed by: Frank Coraci

Starring: The Anti-Christ... er, I mean Adam Sandler, Terry Crews, Jorge Garcia, Taylor Lautner, Rob Schneider, Luke Wilson

From: Netflix... Thanx, Netflix

I saw this movie on Friday night. Since then, all that's gone on in Orlando... a terrible motion picture doesn't seem as important. Still, here's the long review, copied and pasted from Letterboxd:

I don't know if anyone has ever noticed this but this is my first ever review of an Adam Sandler movie on Letterboxd. There's good reason for this: this may sound like poppycock but I swear it's true that this is the first Sandler movie I have seen from beginning to end since... 1996's Bulletproof; I saw that on VHS so it's been almost TWENTY YEARS. Sure, when I was a young teenager I thought that some of his material on Saturday Night Live was amusing and a thing or two from his comedy albums made me laugh (now, I realize it was mainly sheer vulgarity that at the time I thought was worthy of a few giggles) but even once Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore came out on VHS I did not love them like many people around my age did (I thought they were only about average), so I never felt like seeing anything else from him. I thought that Bulletproof was pretty bad as it was an awful example of a buddy-cop comedy.

I've seen bits and pieces from things such as The Longest Yard remake, The Waterboy and Anger Management, and that did not make me want to see any of those in full. It means that I haven't even seen Punch-Drunk Love, which I know many love but just reading the plot makes it sound like something I'd loathe; PT Anderson has made some great films-which I'll review here in the future-but I hated Magnolia so I haven't even seen all of his work. Anyway, hearing people in the know say how bad most of his movies were certainly did not make me want to watch them either. I know that in this decade he's become super-lazy and gets paid a lot of money to go on vacations & hang out with family/friends and crapping out something bad is a small part of the experience. Somehow his films used to be popular, but not so much anymore which is probably why he went to Netflix and much to my horror, a lot of people actually watched this movie, or so Netflix says. To echo someone else, who knows how many of those people actually finished this atrocity; somehow, I did.

It may be another 20 years before I see another Adam Sandler film.

Anyhow, I should expect nothing when it's a film where Sandler (playing a half Native American), Terry Crews, Jorge Garcia, Rob Schneider, Luke Wilson and Taylor Lautner are half-brothers. Yet it was worse than I had anticipated. A Western where people team up to try and rescue a kidnapped Nick Nolte sounds fine on paper... but not when it's filled with unfunny humor, stupid anachronistic moments, racism, misogyny, homophobia, and general grossness. Or as I understand, a typical movie from Happy Madison Productions. Again, it makes me SO glad I avoided much of his work as if it was the Zika Virus. No surprise that there was the brouhaha over some Native Americans leaving the movie & the extra work they were doing; some Native American characters had names like Beaver Breath, Smoking Fox and Never Wears Bra. Need I say more?

I can't say I did not chuckle a few times. However, this overlong movie deserves the lowest rating possible. The story is donkey crap (and sigh, we see poor CGI representing donkey crap several times; there is poor CGI throughout), the cast of familiar faces is totally wasted, and most of it was just painful to watch. Sure, I hoped that some people got paid real well for being in such sewage as this, like Harvey Keitel, Nick Nolte, Steve Buscemi, Danny Trejo and even Terry Crews, although he also stars in what I presume is a terrible Tyler Perry program, as everything Tyler Perry does is comparable to a bad rash. It is something else entirely to make me feel sorry for TAYLOR LAUTNER; I've never seen any of the Twilight movies and the film Abduction was not good, but seeing him play a complete buffoon country bumpkin, I felt a lot of pity. At least he and some other members of the cast tried. To use a term that I am sure he'd most understand, Sandler was more wooden than a cigar store Indian.

I don't know; maybe he should be commended for somehow convincing much of the world that he was actually funny and be able to cash in & become filthy rich then create even worse products where he can be as lazy as possible and as I mentioned already, go on vacations and hang out with his pals. At least I have first-hand experience and now can confirm what many say about him and the garbage he creates. I'll take a pass on this man-child and his farting about, creating gigantic wastes of time.

Oh, and years ago I had seen both The Magnificent Seven and The Seven Samurai. Both are great movies and I'll review them here one day. I wish there wasn't a remake of The Magnificent Seven but that's another topic for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment