Friday, June 24, 2016

Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol


Runtime: 88 minutes

Directed by: Jim Drake

Starring: The usual cast you'd expect

From: Warner Bros.

There is not a lot I can say to intro this, as everyone knows what to expect from a Police Academy sequel before they watch it, whether or not they had ever seen it before... yes I have watched all the movies in the franchise, albeit years ago before I got them from a UK import Blu set early this year. My review of this is below, from you know where:


It has been a few months since I've watched a Police Academy movie so I figured this was the time to see one; I only had faint memories of this one from my childhood, such as a gag or two, the balloon & biplane filled ending, and the large African-American man known as House carrying his own moped. It's quite silly and yet I laughed enough-even if some things weren't “politically correct” by today's standards-to where I can say this is OK.
The plot is about having Citizens on Patrol to help assist the police but it's a flimsy excuse to have a bunch of a random gags & a threadbare story. Love interest Sharon Stone only appears in a few scenes; there are plenty of characters so some don't get a lot of screentime. Yet, the movie somehow includes ninjas; why? Why not!
As you know what to expect from this franchise there isn't too much else for me to say, except to note how this entry has its share of famous faces, and not just a few “that guy” or “that gal” actors you know better from appearance than by name. Besides Stone and Randall “Tex” Cobb, there's David Spade, Tony Hawk and Steve Caballero as skateboarders, years before all of them became famous; there's a few minutes of then-nifty innovative skateboarding stuff back before people regularly saw such things. Of course, G.W. Bailey returned as Harris and it was nice for the franchise for him to return; Steve Guttenberg played Mahoney for the last time here and that is sad for the franchise's fans; who knows if the long-rumored new movie in the series will ever happen so this may be the last time ever that we see him in the role.
As an addendum, I have to mention the rap song theme to the movie; it's not the only 80's-riffic song you hear in the movie but that one is the most charmingly bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment