Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Pirates

The Pirates (Hae-Jeok: Ba-Da-Ro Gan San-Jeok) (2014)

Runtime: 130 minutes

Directed by: Lee Seok-Hoon

Starring: Kim Nam-Gil, Son Ye-Jin, Oh Dal-Su, Park Cheol-Min, Yoo Hae-Jin

From: Harimao Pictures

Thursday night I finally checked this out; I delayed viewing the movie due to mixed opinions. It was something that I enjoyed, although it's not as great as some of the Korean movies I have seen before. I explain this in my Letterboxd review below:

I first heard about this movie from another site, where they posted some character posters. This was even before it was released in its native South Korea. It got some positive buzz from all “the white people” who saw those posters. Later, sites such as this one gave their opinions and not everyone enjoyed this. That is why I delayed watching this until last night, even though it was always in the back of my mind as I also enjoyed said character posters.

I knew beforehand that the tone would be pretty light and it was. The setting is late 14th century Korea, right before the Joseon Dynasty started-that lasted for about 500 years-and those in powers receive a Royal Seal from the Ming Dynasty. No, not the animal, but rather seal as in emblem. Anyhow, an accident happens and a whale swallows the Seal, so for a monetary award several different groups look for that large aquatic animal: a good band of pirates and a heel band of pirates, a group of bandits and some royal military.

The movie is pretty ridiculous if you think about it and the comedy can be hit or miss. I've heard it compared to an American blockbuster and that seems valid, both good and bad. That said, I was still pretty entertained. The characters were certainly memorable, especially the heroic pirates, as they are led by a young attractive woman as their leader, and she was awesome-not because she was a young attractive woman but because she was a kick-ass character who also loved whales. The action setpieces are pretty rad and unique, so that was a big asset to me. In terms of comparison, I have seen all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and I'll review them here sometime in the future, but except for the original the others are average or worse, and I'll explain why when I see those again; I tell you, I am not looking forward to seeing Pirates 3 a second time!

It's not the best Korean film I have seen and I understand why it's not for everyone. Me, I was able to enjoy it for what it was and I simply had fun checking this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment