Monday, May 30, 2016

The Reunion

The Reunion (2011)

Runtime: 96 minutes

Directed by: Michael Pavone

Starring: John Cena, Ethan Embry, Michael Rispoli, Boyd Holbrook, Gregg Henry

From: The wonderful WWE Studios

This movie... it sucked. I'll explain why below: 

This is one of the movies about to vanish from Netflix Instant at the end of the month and as many of the movies I have in my queue can be found elsewhere but this one isn't so I decided to go with this obscure WWE Studios production, where the one wrestler in the cast is John Cena, before he became an Internet meme. Well, this is one movie not really worth seeing so its leaving Instant is no big deal.

The plot has Cena, Ethan Embry, Michael Rispoli and Boyd Holbrook as half-siblings. Their terrible father just died and they have to work together to get 12 million dollars. Embry is a bail bondsman and the guy he had a bond on went to Mexico... after kidnapping billionaire Gregg Henry. The three half-brothers work together to try and get that reward money. Goofy, but I was willing to go with it... unfortunately, all the siblings just love bickering with each other and they are all somewhere on the scale of being an asstagonist, and I can tell you for certain that Embry as Leo is a gigantic asstagonist, someone who I could not stand at all.

Then again, the villains are petty annoying too. There are various story issues to boot (there are plenty of unanswered questions, such as the audience never having any club just what exactly the billionaire does for a living and how he became a billionaire) and the ending made me want to throw something at the screen. There is some alright action but that's no reason to see this. Cena gets shot in one scene but that ends up barely even slowing him down... meaning he was just like his pro wrestling character. In addition, I knew I was in trouble when the movie began and Holbrook is being released from prison... and all the prisoners give him a standing ovation because they love him! Um, what?

Like I said, this suddenly being hard to find in the streaming world is no great tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment