Sunday, May 8, 2016

Enemy Mine

Enemy Mine (1985)

Runtime: 108 minutes

Directed by: Wolfgang Petersen

Starring: Dennis Quaid, Louis Gossett, Jr., Brion James, Richard Marcus, the greatly named Bumper Robinson

From: 20th Century Fox

Would you believe that I had never seen this before? It is true. I can now say that this is a solid 3 star movie and I give the reasons why below via my Letterboxd review: 

Via Amazon I watched the full 108 minute version of this movie last night as someone online said I should; despite being a child of the 1980's I never actually had seen this from beginning to end before. If I did I imagine I would have nostalgia love for it; as I don't, I'll say that this was fine and I'll explain why.

If you haven't seen this movie yet either, it's a space tale where a space racist (that's the best way to describe Dennis Quaid's character; he hates the Drac alien species) is trapped on a barren planet with the lizard-like humanoid bipedal alien species known as the Dracs and this wacky duo of course don't get along at first but as the Drac nicknamed Jerry learns English and things happen, their relationship changes... I do agree it sounds cliché but there are some surprises along the way.

I can't say that this is great but it's still a solid 3 star movie and I don't regret watching it. Quaid as the space racist and Lou Gossett, Jr. as Jerry do solid work. The 80's effects work did make me feel nostalgic, even if some of it doesn't age that greatly. The lessons taught in the movie are all nice and I say it is a parable about not being a racist in general and not stereotyping things just because they are different from you.

This movie was a troubled production as Wolfgang Petersen wasn't the original director but he came in after the first guy was fired and they had to practically start all over, then it bombed at the box office as the story probably isn't “sexy” to the general public at the time. It is unfortunate as it is a pleasant movie to watch with some nice messages for the audience, along with the requisite exciting moments. The score is from Maurice Jarre, who delivered what you would expect from him... and that is a good thing in my eyes.

Oh, and to me it is wacky yet amusing that the reason the El Rey Network showed this a few times this weekend is that they were celebrating Mother's Day and believe it or not this does fit that criteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment