Saturday, May 21, 2016

The Return Of Swamp Thing

The Return of Swamp Thing (1989)

Runtime: 89 minutes

Directed by: Jim Wynorski

Starring: Louis Jourdan, Heather Locklear, Sarah Douglas, Ace Mask, Dick Durock

From: Lightyear Entertainment

I will be back Sunday night with a pair of film noir reviews. For now, I will talk about this movie, which I did see as a kid but this was my first time watching it as an adult. It's SO goofy but it's charming so it's something I can't hate and at least I think it's average. I explain it in my Letterboxd review below:

This is yet another film that I last saw at least 20 years ago; I remembered it being really goofy but the most dominant memory was the cool opening credits where as you hear CCR's Born on the Bayou we see various panels from the actual comic throughout the years. Seeing that again, those credits are still pretty cool. The movie as a whole... I can only rate it as average. Then again that's the same rating I gave the original Swamp Thing when I rewatched it a few months ago.

Here, Dr. Arcane has returned. Yes, after the events of the first movie. They half-ass try to explain it away. So it's just like something you'd see in a comic book!


Anyway, he has returned and he's looking for the right results to an experiment that will reverse the effects of aging. His stepdaughter Heather Locklear happens to step in the picture and she is just what he needs. Thankfully Swampie is there too to save the day.

The film is definitely tongue in cheek and light in tone, which was far from the first one. Some of the humor works, and sometimes it doesn't. This is something so goofy you can't get mad about it. After all, it's a film where Dr. Arcane has a security team wearing orange jumpsuits and the leader of the squad is a hairy dude who always has his suit almost completely unzipped, and where the number two was played by a former Penthouse Pet, one of the actors is named Ace Mask, and odious comic relief is from a pair of 12 year old boys. But at least the costumes look fine and it is an easy watch.

So yeah, this is definitely a PG-13 Jim Wynorski picture and it's exactly what you'd expect from such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment