Monday, December 8, 2014

Leonard Part 6

Leonard Part 6 (1987)

Runtime: 85 minutes

Directed by: Paul Weiland

Starring: The wonderful human being known as Bill Cosby, Tom Courtenay, Gloria Foster, Moses Gunn, Joe Don Baker

From: Columbia

Yes, I watched this infamous film; actually, it's for the second time in my life, and I likely won't ever see it a third time. I'll explain it all in a lengthy Letterboxd review below and I'll return tomorrow night with a review of a movie I promise will be better than this, something I gave the lowest possible rating to on Letterboxd: 

Yep, before I get to reviewing this movie I have to address the gigantic elephant in the room. After all it plays a factor into why I watched this now, it being that I found the DVD for this buried under a pile of junk while looking for something else and due to recent news this likely will be the last time I'll ever want to see the film.

While as of this time he hasn't addressed all the accusations, it certainly appears from just the sheer amount of people who have stepped forward that Bill Cosby has assaulted who knows how many women for at least the past few decades, and that is awful news all around. As a kid I saw episodes of Fat Albert and The Cosby Show and saw some of his movies; hell, I saw Ghost Dad on the big screen! As an adult I listened to some of his stand-up and enjoyed it. Now, it's all changed and I don't know if I can enjoy it anymore. It's very sad that such an important figure for African-Americans is actually a terrible person and a predator. Lord knows there are plenty of entertainers I enjoy who weren't saints and did some quite unfortunate things, but something like this... I can never forget such a horrific act and how it was repeated who knows how many times.

Now, onto the film; despite knowing its toxic reputation for years I never actually saw it until I was an adult and I saw that yep, it was terrible. It was actually via VHS tape. I later got the DVD, for laughs and to remember how the old rumor of how Cosby and his wealth prevented a DVD release... well, that wasn't true, but apparently he has the TV rights, not that any serious network would actually want to ever show it.

Now, having seen this for what is likely the last time ever, I know I'll never have several questions answered, such as:

Why does the movie start off with some clips from the movie's climax?

Why does the killer rainbow trout bark like a dog? I know that this movie is pretty weird overall and has various things that are stupid-likely because it's supposed to be a family film-but that left me befuddled.

Why does Leonard wear a helmet that says Ipso Facto on the front? It's Latin for “By the fact itself” so I have no idea.

Why is Leonard so against going back to work to save the world from a crazy woman that can control animals and is killing his fellow CIA agents? That is never explained.

Why does his daughter date someone really old? It was a plot point that was just puzzling.

Why are there uncomfortable parallels to Troll 2?

Why does a guy in a car that ends up in a body of water never try to escape? It was his car and it shouldn't have been locked.

Why does Cosby looked bored out of his skull for most of the film... actually, I can probably answer that!

Is it just me that thinks Joe Don Baker's character here of CIA agent Nick Snyderburn is the same guy that's the CIA agent in the Brosnan Bond films and the Jack Wade name he uses there is just a cover? Probably so. Believe me I have more but I'll stop there.

If you don't know the plot, Cosby is Leonard Parker, a retired spy who is asked to return to the CIA to stop a crazy woman named Medusa Johnson who wants to kill everyone and have animals rule the world, and does so via “a formula” that causes animals to follow her bidding. So, PETA: The Movie is what this is... after a lot of convincing he finally does so. A lot of weird things happen after that.

There's such a thing as “dancing vegetarians” who are weird dudes that wear costumes and are the henchman of Medusa... yes, weird and I suppose it's interesting and bold that a big family film like this was supposed to be is so damn strange, but it doesn't mean it's good, that is for sure. An ostrich is ridden by Leonard in the climax and there's an exploding head apparently filled with sawdust; need I say more?

The biggest sin of the movie is that most of it is brutally unfunny; I mean, painfully bad stuff. Even if you enjoy weird absurd Dadaist movies I have a feeling you wouldn't enjoy all the failed comedy. Also, unfortunately there is a moment where current events creep in. Another plot point is that Leonard is estranged from his old lady; that is because he did something or another with a 19 year old and they were both naked but he says it was innocent and Bill... uh I mean Leonard implies it was consensual; yeah, it's incredibly creepy now.

Really, most people shouldn't even bother watching this now with all the controversy surrounding the star. Just know that its reputation is deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment