Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Eagle And The Hawk

The Eagle and the Hawk (1933)

Runtime: 73 minutes

Directed by: Stuart Walker

Starring: Fredric March, Cary Grant, Jack Oakie, Carole Lombard, Guy Standing

From: Paramount

This is another random watch from me, one that was on TCM late last night. It sounded interesting so I gave it a whirl, and even though it's a movie most don't know or remember, it was worth the watch. The Letterboxd review is below, after I mention that I'll be back tomorrow night.

Last night on TCM they started a month where each Monday they show several Cary Grant films per night and as I haven't seen enough films from Archibald Leach, I figured that I should see some this month. This was on late at night and I hadn't heard of it before but the plot was intriguing so I checked it out.

On the 100th anniversary of World War I it's appropriate I see a film set in that time period. In this case it's an antiwar film about some Yankees who volunteer for the British Royal Air Force and Fredric March is a skilled pilot who quickly becomes disillusioned with all the death that happens during wartime. Cary Grant is a rival and yet they have to work together as a duo in an aircraft whose first job is to take pictures of the enemy but they can engage in air battles if needed. In contrast, Grant is gung-ho about the war. Jack Oakie is there as a genial humorous guy who tries to lighten the mood even during tense moments and Carole Lombard is an unnamed gal who has a small role but at least adds some sex appeal.

The performances by and large are at least fine but while Grant does a swell job young in his career (and I am not used to him looking so young) it is March as the lead who is the highlight. He does a tremendous job slowly but surely becoming more mad and anguished by all the deaths that happen, whether they be his fellow soldiers or the enemies, often young adults who barely have had a chance to lead a good life.

As it's a Pre-Code movie you have some things happen that are still pretty potent today and without giving anything away, Grant's character is not as one-note as you may expect. Thus, the movie is still relevant today when it comes to the stress and mental pressures of a person who is in the armed forces.

I am glad for services like TCM where I can discover such movies like this, where you have flying scenes (some lifted from Paramount's Wings) that may look dated today but overall the story is still one to remember and contemplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment