Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tonight I Talk About MEGACON

Tonight I decided to be different and I'll talk about what I did this past Friday, which was going to my first-ever comic book convention (or con or whatever you want to call it). It only tangentially deals with movies but oh well. Here's what I wrote about it on my personal blog. I do call it MEGACON instead of Megacon, as that sort of name deserves to be in all caps, I say.

Friday, I did another first; I went to a comic book convention. It was at the Orange County Convention Center on I-Drive and it's known as MEGACON. The past few years I was interested to go to one of these but due to various circumstances, I couldn't do it until now. I got there not too long after it opened and it was already jam-packed and OH MY GOD. The sights I saw there were even wackier than I could have imagined. There were some classic cosplaying, such as Doctor Who (there were plenty of Doctors around), Star Wars, Star Trek, or something old like Indiana Jones and Marty McFly. Many of the videogame ones I recognized. But, just about all of the anime characters (which was many of the people there), I have NO idea as to what character they were portraying as I don't watch any anime at all, and most of those were pretty wacky-looking to me. Of course, I do have to give props to everyone who dressed up, as they all put in a lot of time and effort into their costumes; some were pretty elaborate and/or required giant props.

Sad to say a few times I did smell some pretty bad body odor, which lives up (or down) to the stereotype. I hope that during the weekend where I understand MANY more people were there, that body odor didn't hang in the air but that's a distinct possibility. I actually shouldn't make fun of most cosplayers like that, as I am sure only a small segment of them have an issue with showering. After all, at least 6 random people complimented me on an XFL shirt I dug out and wore that's vintage from when I bought it in 2002 from a Spencer's Gifts when it was on clearance for only like 4 bucks. I can only imagine the sort of attention I would have gotten if I had dressed up in any sort of outfit; it's easy to see why those people would want to dress up and get showered with compliments for their duds.

As much of the items there weren't for me (I just don't care about anime or comic books, and I don't really care for hentai, which was actually on one table), I spent a lot of time just walking about and looking at everyone's outfit. I ate dinner there; they offered up chicken fingers and fries and as I ate it, it was not too great, and I later paid the price for eating that food!

There were people around I knew who I didn't see (I discovered this later), but I did see some people I know and it was nice to talk to them, even if it was only for about a minute or two. It was certainly a different environment for me, all those “unique” people milling about, and a rare case of me NOT being one of the oddest individuals around!

I will return tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment