Friday, March 7, 2014

My Top 11 Films Of 2013

Finally, in the early part of 2014 here is my best 11 movies of 2013. You can click on the titles for each movie to read my original review for it.

11 Nebraska. The movie is a quite entertaining drama with plenty of comedy. I was always interested in this black and white indy movie and it was nice to see it with a large crowd.

10 The Last Stand. I know this polarizes people but I am in the camp that really enjoyed it. While this wasn't the director's previous action movie (The Good, The Bad, The Weird), this is still a lot of fun, with sweet action, nice setpieces, and humorous moments... even with Johnny Knoxville.

9 Behind the Candelabra. This is an HBO movie I watched on YouTube. It is a wacky entertaining true story of Liberace and his longtime gay lover.

8 Pain & Gain. This is a movie I am surprised I am rating this high due to my opinion of the director's usual work. But, with style and plenty of twisted humor, I had a blast with it.

7 You're Next. This is a movie I am surprised I am rating this high due to my opinion of the director's usual work. But, with style and plenty of twisted humor, I had a blast with it.

6 Captain Phillips. Paul Greengrass is another director I don't actively seek out (mainly due to how he films this movie) but he did a great job here. Also great was the performances all around, especially from Hanks.

5 The Conjuring. This did live up to all the hype I had heard. It really was that good as entertainment, a thriller, and a horror film. Things are done right and it's no cheap jump scares BS. There are plenty of legit scares and creepy moments.

4 Furious 6. I know that this one and Fast Five are really ridiculous, but Goddamn if they aren't a blast to watch, especially on the big screen. They're no-brainer action movies done right. Sure, if you think about it, the ending and its 32 mile or so runway (yes, someone did the math) is real stupid. Who cares, though!?

3 Pacific Rim. I know this is a polarizing film and some actually hate it. I don't get it. While you can squabble about some things, overall it is a blast to watch, with colorful characters and situation, a bitchin' world, and awesome battles between giant monsters and giant robots.

2 The Wolf of Wall Street. I understand why some would be turned off by this, given how it's so vulgar, loud, and in your face. However, I was greatly entertained by it... and sometimes horrified too by what that drug-crazed loon Jordan Belfort would do. It was done in a way that worked and a method that only Scorsese could pull off. I was relieved I enjoyed it as much as I did.

1 Gravity. Now having seen it twice, I am now certain this is my movie of 2013. From the way it looked to the very long shots, the suspense and the performances, it was all tremendous. Seeing someone I know on Facebook say the movie was “boring”, and some of his friends (none of whom I know) agreed with him... that made me very sad. Then again, I rarely agree with him when it comes to movies. Not to be an ass but I think his tastes are awful so I really shouldn't be surprised he didn't like an awesome film like this.

Hopefully everyone found this to be an interesting list. I'll return tomorrow night and the movie I plan on watching is one of those hilarious wacky action motion pictures from the 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment