Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Trio Of Netflix Watches (The Monkey Hustle/Silver Bullet/Shark Night)



Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: Arthur Marks

Starring: Yaphet Kotto, Kirk Calloway, Thomas Carter, Rudy Ray Moore

From: American International Pictures


Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Daniel Attias

Starring: Corey Haim, Gary Busey, Megan Follows, Everett McGill

From: Paramount


Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: David R. Ellis

Starring: Sara Paxton, Dustin Milligan, Chris Carmack, Katharine McPhee

From: Rogue

Here's a trio of films I watched on Netflix Instant recently; now I am completely caught up. Let me talk about all three and I'll try not to be too lengthy.

The Monkey Hustle is a blaxploitation comedy/drama that is rather aimless and there's only a perfunctory plot. Basically, you see the lives of various people in a poor Chicago neighborhood for a few days; there's an expressway scheduled to come right through the neighborhood but it isn't discussed too much. Instead you see DADDY FOXX (Kotto) be all jolly with his 14 year old sidekick (Calloway) as several of their young pals sometimes assist them in pulling off various scams for cash.

While I do wish there was more of a plot, it still was an enjoyable movie; it helped from listening to a podcast that I knew what sort of movie this would be. It's usually entertaining and there's plenty of intentional and unintentional humor. For example, the 14 year old sidekick and his constant attempts to mack on a 16 year old lady, who doesn't think of him that way due to his age. What's hilarious now is the preposterous 70's outfits and all the jive talked (even from Kotto) which is quite dated in 2012 but that's what makes it great. And it was nice to see Kotto in a rare leading role, obviously having a great old time, grinning and smiling often. Him acting with novice Rudy Ray Moore (basically playing a PG-rated verson of his famed Dolemite character) was something else. They do a laugh-off as if they were evil villains, and it made me laugh. Oh man, were Moore's outfits the most ridiculous. As long as your expectations are in check, you may like this.

Silver Bullet is a movie I've heard about for a long while due to its unintentional humor. For example, its werewolf costume is rather terrible, even judged by 1980's standards. I figured I should finally check it out considering it was now easy for me to see. The plot: in a small town in Texas in the mid-70's, a boy in a wheelchair (Haim) and his sister (Fellows) know that the mysterious killings done in the town is by a werewolf, but of course none of the adults believe them, not even their crazy but still nice Uncle Red (Busey).

Yep, things are rather cliched and tired, and to be honest the movie isn't too scary most of the time. What helps it out, though, is that the cast is nice (McGill is great as the rather intense town priest; there's also Terry O'Quinn and Lawrence Tierney, among others) and the performances are usually at least good. It's just darn entertaining, I have to say. I mean, the title just does not describe a popular way to kill a werewolf, but it is also the name of a pair of motorized wheelchairs that Uncle Red builds for his nephew; yep, it is as wacky as it sounds. Busey is the MVP, though. He's his usual crazy self and he utters some incredible lines, like “I feel like a virgin on prom night!” and “Holy jumped-up baldheaded Jesus palomino!” He's a drunk and a screw-up but he does care for his niece and nephew.

By the way, I've never read the Stephen King story this is based on; in fact, I am not really a King fan at all.

The last movie is Shark Night, which came out around this time last year. I am glad I did not pay any money to see it via rental or heaven forbid watching it in 3D on the big screen. Instead, watching it on Netflix was perfect. I now knew for certain why many thought it was crap... that's because it is crap. Silver Bullet ended up being a lot of fun; this, definitely not the case. It's not even the PG-13 rating that was its downfall; rather, it's just not an entertaining story at all. It's full of cliches and it's not even fun in that cheesy way. It's just stupid and unpleasant, filled with dumb and aggravating characters. While the Louisiana scenery (and the scenery of McPhee in a bikini) was nice, the movie is really not worth seeing. Although, the reason why the bad stuff is done by the bad guys is SO preposterous and ludicrous it almost makes me want to recommend it; but I won't. Just read about it on Wikipedia if you want.

There are two things I have to isolate and talk about. First off, the movie makes a decision that if you think about it, is a not so thought out idea at best and at worst... yikes. There's an African-American character who gets mad at a shark so he decides to hunt for it... using a wooden spear with a metal tip on the end. Nevermind where he found such a thing; having a black man throwing around a spear... a REAL bad idea, I say, and I know others noted the same thing.

Secondly, the best part of the film is after the end credits and I imagine most who saw the movie never stuck around to watch that. It's a music video where the cast raps about the events of the movie; really. It's horrible and yet great at the same time. And I know this was at the end of the movie as it was shown in theatres as that was how I knew it was there. The beat most of the time can be best described as “thug”. However, one last character shows up to rap/sing, and as the character is sad the beat changes and becomes a ripoff of the beat from LL Cool J's I Need Love! Yes. That's the best part of the film, take my word for it.

I'll be back Wednesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment