Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Scorpion King



Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Chuck Russell

Starring: The Rock, Steven Brand, Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP), Kelly Hu

From: Universal

I had nothing I really had to watch last night. Then, I not only heard the news about The Rock stopping a robbery on the set of Fast Six bysimply charging at the criminals while in uniform, but the sad news about Duncan passing away yesterday. I figured that I should rewatch this film (which I got on DVD as a Christmas gift a long time ago) as I hadn't seen it in so long and it'd be the appropriate thing to do. I haven't seen too many MCD movies but this was one of those I had.

The plot isn't exactly Shakespearean but that is OK: Mathayus (Rock) is a desert warrior (an Akkadian) who along with his brother and another guy is the last of his kind as an evil warlord (Brand) as taken over much of the rest of the land in an unnamed African area. The bad guys kill the other two guys and of course Rock is PISSED that his brother got murdered. He meets up with a wacky sidekick (Grant Heslov) and meets up with such characters as the warlord's sorceress (the great-looking Hu) and the head of another tribe (the late Duncan), all while riding around the desert on a CAMEL.

The fact that a camel is his main mode of transportation says a lot about what sort of flick this is. It's light entertainment, filled with wackiness and predictable moments... yet it's wildly entertaining at the same time; it's a shut your brain off and just sit back and enjoy sort of movie. It reminded me of a Cannon production in the 1980's. You know, an exotic setting, plenty of action, pretty girls, quite a bit of humor, and a dose of plain silly. I really think this could have been produced by Golan/Globus and released in '85 or '86. I have no idea who you'd cast in those roles if it would have been made way back when.

The special effects don't look so hot 10 years later but they certainly are better than what you saw in The Mummy Returns when Rock became a giant scorpion thing; man I still remember that being terrible.

Like I said, if you want some mindless yet satisfying entertainment and enjoy the genre, then this is worth a watch.

I'll be back real late Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment