Saturday, February 11, 2012

Psycho (the remake, unfortunately)

Psycho (1998)

Runtime: 105 minutes

Directed by: Gus Van Sant

Starring: Vince Vaughn, Anne Heche, Viggo Mortensen, Julianne Moore, William H. Macy

From: Universal


Yes, I actually watched this movie for the first time in over 13 years; I was inspired by someone I know on Facebook mentioning that they were watching it. It got me to thinking that the only time I watched this was when I went to the theatre and watched it on the big screen. Don't worry, I saw the original before I saw the shot for shot remake. I don't need to tell anyone how great the 1960 film is even now, 52 years later. Anyhow, I saw it, it ended, and as everyone walked out, I don't think anyone enjoyed it, me included. It was just something that was not needed. I thought I did not need to ever watch this again (and thankfully later on I was able to watch the original on the big screen) but then that discussion online plus this blog inspired me to rent this film and give it a second viewing.

Before I get to that, though, I have to mention the realization I came to a few hours after that Facebook post from the pal... this was likely the first-ever R-rated movie I saw on the big screen on my own without my parents! For some reason I'm thinking that I MAY have seen Scream 2 on the big screen on my own but given that it came out in late '97 and I don't know if it was still out in late February right after I turned 17... if I did see it, then I shouldn't have. Whoops on the theatre's part, not mine. But I am more definitive in saying that Psycho was the first R-rated theatrical experience on my own, and I really wish another movie held that distinction! Hey, back then I rarely went to the cineplex. I probably only went out a few times a year in those days, if that.

But back to this motion picture...

Viewing it so many years later, my opinion really hasn't changed; this movie is just a giant waste of time and I have no idea why it was done except to prove a point that even a shot for shot remake (which actually isn't really that as you had some changes, such as making it clear that Norman Bates was diddling his fiddle as he was a voyeur spying on Marion) isn't the same as not only is it dumb for a director to try and imitate another director but that casting does a lot to make or break a movie. Anne Heche is no Janet Leigh, and I thought that at the time, even before she made those really bizarre statements about being two different people and an alien, or whatever that nonsense was. After knowing that, it's real hard to enjoy her as Marion Crane, to be perfectly honest. And as many have said, while Anthony Perkins was a weird shut-in and a nerd he still seemed like a nice guy; Vince Vaughn always came off as a real, well, psycho, and a creep too.

That alone ruins things but then there's other crap, such as surreal dream stuff added in, and it just doesn't add anything positive to the procedings. Sure, some of the performances from the talented cast were fine, but when there are issues with the two leads, that's a big problem. There were definitely things I did not remember from the late 90's viewing, such as the dream stuff or especially briefly hearing a Rob Zombie song in one scene!

So yes, while it was interesting to watch this again after so many years, it pretty much was as I remembered it: it wasn't God-awful... just extremely pointless, especially compared to how great the original film is.

I'll be back Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment