Friday, February 10, 2012

Yes, I Went And Saw Episode I in 3D

So, I don't need to do the proper intro nor give a plot synopsis for this movie, as you all know it, and I'd say that you all hate it, but after Friday morning at 12:01 AM, that would be inaccurate. Besides, despite the off-putting voice and all the off-color humor, the Red Letter Media reviews for all of the prequels explain far better why they're all poor than I could.

Despite agreeing with that I decided to go and view it in 3D; it gives me something to write about, the visuals would at least be nice (and yeah, they still look nice in '12) and the crowd I figured would be interesting. Boy was I not let down by the last part. I watched it at Downtown Disney at the AMC, and they're showing it now on their giant ETX screen, with pumpin' audio too, so it'd be a good way to watch that film. A lot of people were there, and even I was surprised by the number of fanboys (I won't use the term “nerd”) who were there wearing either the appropriate t-shirts or in Jedi robes, usually with fake light sabers! Really. I guess those guys will never turn down the chance to dress up like their heroes. Say what you will, but at least it was a well-behaved audience and there was no idiocy to talk about. It should be no shock that the one trailer which got by far the biggest reaction was for the new Spiderman film.

Yes, the movie still sucks. But, the crowd was so amped for it (to the point that I actually heard laughs for Jar-Jar Binks and his dialogue!) I did not hate the experience at all. As for the 3D, it's still not the sort of thing where you'll see a lot of stuff flying out at you. Rather, it's the depth of field thing, and in that way it does work. As long as you know that... anyway, it was a unique time at the cinema so it wasn't a mistake to spend that money and go out late at night for that viewing.

I'll be back tomorrow afternoon with something more traditional... and it includes a story about my teenage movie-going years.

No comments:

Post a Comment