Sunday, February 5, 2012

Live Sports On The Big Screen

On this Super Bowl Sunday, why not do something a little different and talk about the few times I've seen sporting events on the big screen?

The first one was back in early 2009 with the BCS National Championship Game between the Florida Gators and the Oklahoma Sooners. I drove all the way to Bradenton to watch it in an auditorium (and a bunch of crazy Gators fans) because of the fact that some locations across the country were showing it in 3D. When it worked, the effect was nice. It's just that the way they filmed it wasn't always the best, and there were such mistakes as entire plays being missed to show a replay, the cameras having trouble following who had the ball, and that sort of thing. I guess that was why Cinedigm (the people that at least presented it; it was a game that was broadcast on FOX so I'll always be happy to blame them for it, as FOX is the dirt worst of all the networks) never tried to do that again.

Then, for four events in 2010, UFC pay per views were presented by Fathom Events in theatres. The pay per views weren't always the greatest but I always had a good time and while the crowds varied in size, the people that did show up seemed to have a good time too. As I presume not enough people showed up to those events, that's why they stopped doing it.

Then, just yesterday UFC returned to theatres, but this time from Cinedigm and instead in 3D. The production was a lot better than the BCS game. There was only a glitch or two and none during the fights themselves. There was only a few instances of the ghosting effect, and it was minor and did not ruin the effect for the bouts. The fact that it was a good pay per view was an added bonus. The attendance where I was... it was pretty good. Hopefully they'll do this once every few months as I'll always attend.

If only events like the Super Bowl would be shown in theatres in 3D... I think that could be pretty awesome.

I'll be back Wednesday night and this time I promise I'll do a traditional movie review.

No comments:

Post a Comment